International Hot & Spicy Food Day
Five Food Finds about Spicy Food
- People who are regality eat spicy food are considered pyro-gourmaniacs.
- People have been using hot and spicy seasonings in their food for more than 6,000 years according to archaeologists.
- Christopher Columbus discovered chili peppers when he ‘discovered’ the Americas in 1493.
- Capsaicin, the chemical in peppers that makes them hot, isn’t found in any other plant and is potent enough that people can identify it even when the concentration is as little as one part per million.
- The best way to ease the burn of flaming hot peppers or overly-spicy mustard of horseradish is with cold milk or yogurt. Avoid water as it won’t mix with the oil and will only result in moving the heat to other parts of your mouth.
On This Day in Food History…
1868 William Davis, received a patent for a refrigerated railway…
View original post 81 more words